CBD for Hair Loss: Does it Actually Work?
On average, you can expect to lose 80 strands of hair a day. Even though hair loss is part of everyday life, it’s easy to freak out when you shed more than usual. If your shower drain is hairier than normal, it’s time to pinpoint the cause. And believe it or not, the likelihood that Cannabidiol (CBD) could be the cure is high. So read on for a solution to preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth that’s a cut above the rest.
What causes hair loss?
Each of your hair follicles goes through three recurring stages of growth that continue throughout your lifetime over and over without you realising that it’s happening. The phases are known as rest and shedding.
Follicles don’t have the same life span, in other words, a neighbouring follicle won’t have any idea that another follicle is about to fall out because they’re all in different phases. Hair loss can be affected at different stages of the cycle due to various reasons.
Some of these include age, genetics, hormonal changes or medical conditions. Depending on the cause, the symptoms can occur suddenly or gradually, and you may find that the hair loss can come from just the scalp or the entire body.
Can CBD promote hair growth?
CBD has been making the rounds as a successful natural treatment for many ailments. If there’s a health issue you have, chances are, CBD can help you alleviate its symptoms.
And when it comes to promoting hair growth, CBD is a good bet too. Last year, a study showed that 3 to 4mg of CBD increased hair growth by 93.5% over six months. That’s because CBD:
- Regulates hormones - Hair loss can occur when your hormones are a bit out of balance. The hair follicles can shrink because of the hormonal imbalance and this makes the hair thinner and grows back slower. But fret not, because CBD can come to your rescue. CBD interacts with the body’s natural endocannabinoid system which helps to regulate the secretion of hormones. Because of this interaction, CBD can help regulate your hormones if they’re out of balance, which will stop the follicles from shrinking.
- Treats scalp conditions - If you’re experiencing a fungal infection, psoriasis or dandruff on your scalp, you’re prone to losing some hair. But CBD has known superpowers for treating these conditions thanks to its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. When CBD comes across a fungicidal cell, it oxidises it so that it can’t multiply, and the fungus doesn’t grow or spread. And because CBD can reduce inflammation, which is thought to play an underlying role in psoriasis, it can help prevent hair loss due to the condition.
- Prevents damage and breakage - Dry Hair is prone to breaking. CBD is a potent moisturiser that can bring back the shine and life to dull and prone-to-breakage hair. It also cleanses out any chemical or dirt deposits that can block hair follicles and prevent them from growing properly. This strengthens the roots so your hair doesn’t go back to looking or feeling like straw.
- Contains phytonutrients - CBD is packed with much-needed nutrients. This includes a selection of B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium, potassium and magnesium. All of these are excellent for nourishing your hair and promoting hair growth.
- Relieves stress - life gets stressful sometimes and it can be difficult to balance it all. CBD can help with that. It can instil a sense of calm by reducing anxiety. It’s also shown to increase dopamine, or the happiness hormone, levels.
How can you use CBD to promote hair growth?
Applying CBD oil directly to your scalp is a sure way to promote hair growth and treat the skin conditions you may be experiencing.
Ensure that you gently massage the oil into your scalp and then comb through the length of your hair so that the oil is evenly distributed. For the best results, leave the oil in overnight and by the time you wash it out the next morning, your hair should be smooth and lustrous.
You could also try nourishing your follicles from within by taking CBD orally, either in the form of an oil or capsules.
Is it safe to use CBD in your hair?
CBD has been reviewed by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as generally safe to use. There are no severe reactions that you could experience when taking CBD or applying it topically.
Can you add CBD oil to your Shampoo?
You can definitely add CBD oil to your shampoo. But remember, once you do, its potency will be reduced. If you’re looking for a more moderate treatment, it might work but we recommend using a high-quality CBD oil directly on your hair or scalp.
Does CBD work for all hair types?
CBD is all-natural and is generally well tolerated by most people. This makes it good for different hair types. CBD oil works well for curly hair because it’s a brilliant moisturiser and will moisturise each strand.
What should you avoid when using CBD in your hair?
The biggest no-no when choosing a CBD product is picking one that’s low quality. There won’t be a good enough concentration of CBD and you won’t be getting any of the benefits that you should be getting.
You should also look for a CBD product that comes with a Certificate of Analysis (CoA) so you know exactly what’s inside.
Is CBD good for hair loss due to COVID?
Many people have experienced hair loss since having COVID. The virus causes telogen and anagen effluvium, a type of hair loss that occurs at the growing and resting phases and since CBD can help with promoting hair growth at both of these stages, it has the potential to assist with hair loss due to COVID.
So, does CBD help fight hair loss?
The bottom line is that CBD does have the potential to help prevent hair loss and also promote hair growth. It has many beneficial properties that help cleanse, moisturise and strengthen the hair so you’re never a close shave from disaster.