CBD Oil for Arthritis
Are you suffering from arthritis?
If you suffer from chronic arthritis pain, you might have tried various pain management strategies. Researchers have recently started focusing on CBD oil’s effects on several conditions such as arthritis as an alternative to manage the effects of arthritis, you might want to consider using CBD oil.
What is arthritis?
Known to be more prevalent in older people, arthritis is the swelling and tenderness of one or more joints. The main symptoms of arthritis are joint pain and stiffness that typically worsens with age. Arthritis involves inflammation or degeneration of the joints.
The most common types of arthritis include:
- Osteoarthritis, or “wear and tear” arthritis, develops when joint cartilage breaks down from repeated stress. It’s the most common form of arthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease that causes the immune system to attack synovial membranes in your joints.
- Ankylosing spondylitis, or arthritis of the spine (usually your lower back).
- Juvenile arthritis (JA), is a disorder where the immune system attacks the tissue around joints. JA typically affects children 16 or younger.
- Gout is a disease that causes hard crystals of uric acid to form in your joints.
- Psoriatic arthritis is a joint inflammation that develops in people with psoriasis (an autoimmune disorder that causes skin irritation).
What are the causes of arthritis?
- Autoimmune disorders
- Muscle weakness
- Wear and tear on joints
Treatments for arthritis
There are various treatments that have been tried to ease the symptoms and onset of arthritis. The goal of arthritis treatment is to provide pain relief and increase joint mobility and strength. Treatment for arthritis will depend on the seriousness and how far your arthritis has progressed.
To reduce pain and inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, your doctor will probably prescribe acetaminophen or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
If you're making decisions about drugs for arthritis pain relief, you may want to ask your doctor some of the following questions before starting treatment:
- Which pain medication is best for me right now?
- Is it safe to take this drug every day?
- How long will I need to take this medication? Is it a short-term or long-term treatment?
- What should I do if I have flare-ups of pain while taking this medication?
- When can I expect to see improvement in my arthritis pain?
- Will this pain medicine interact with other medications I'm taking?
- What potential side effects should I know about this drug?
- What can I do to decrease the risk of side effects?
- Is there anything else I can do to relieve my pain?
What is CBD?
Cannabinoid (CBD) oil is known for its pain management benefits for pain management. Derived from the cannabis plant, CBD is one of 100 different cannabinoids (compounds) found in the plant. CBD is not psychoactive and does not contain any properties like THC that cause intoxication or a high associated with marijuana use.
CBD oil has the ability to interact with your endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a complex network of chemical signals and cell receptors. These are found throughout our bodies and brains to help regulate sleep, temperature, pain and inflammation and much more. The receptors found in the ECS receive signals from different stimuli, such as CBD. Research shows that CBD products have had positive effects acting as an anti-inflammatory after interacting with the ECS.
Is CBD oil good for arthritis?
According to the Arthritis Foundation, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that some people with arthritis who use CBD report noticeable pain relief, improved sleep, or reduced anxiety.
However, it also states that there have been no rigorous clinical studies in humans with arthritis to confirm this. The organization has urged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to study and regulate CBD products.
Are there downsides to CBD oil as a treatment for arthritis?
Generally, CBD oil is safe to use but as with any treatment, there are possible side effects as a result of treatment. Some of the side effects can include drowsiness, dry mouth or dizziness. It is important to monitor the effects and find the right dosage for yourself.
How to use CBD oil for arthritis pain
There are no set guidelines for using CBD oil to treat arthritis and dosage will depend on your individual needs.
- When considering a CBD oil to use for arthritis, consult your doctor before starting treatment.
- Be sure to start with a lower dose when administering CBD oil
- Consult your doctor to ensure that the CBD oil will not have any negative effects when used in conjunction with any other medications.
- Don’t rely on CBD oil as the primary choice for pain relief. Instead, consider it only if more conventional methods have not been successful in treating your arthritis.
- Do not stop your prescribed medications as these may be protecting your joints from deterioration and further damage, instead be sure to discuss any changes with your doctor.
CBD shows promise as a treatment for arthritis-related pain. Because CBD oil affects the receptors in the brain, it may reduce inflammation and pain. Try organic premium line CBD oils to improve and manage your arthritis-related pain.